Design/Build & Historic Renovation of Grant Hall, Fort McNair, Washington, D.C.
Fort McNair, Washington, D.C.
Grant Hall was built as an addition to a former penitentiary, and was constructed between 1830 and 1831. The penitentiary became the center of national attention in 1865 when the trial and sentencing of those implicated in the assassination of President Lincoln was held on the third floor of this building. Four conspirators were sentenced to death, including the first woman ever executed by federal order, Mary Surratt.
PKS has been contracted to Design/Build and perform Interior and Exterior Renovation of 11, 430 sf of Historic space distributed over three floors and basement. PKS has performed the following work:
- Floor Plan Renovation: Removal of non-historic partitions and restored layout per Adolf Cluss renovation of 1881; Levels one and two contain office space and level three provides a conference room that recreates the appearance and setting of the courtroom where the actual Lincoln conspirator’s trial took place.
- Identified and repaired leaks to existing metal roof, flashing, trim; repair rotten wood soffit; install new ‘widows walk’ railing to match original
- Repointed brick on three exterior brick facades
- Repaired west façade stucco and repaint
- Abatement of lead paint and removed and replaced approximately 78 windows and stone window sills
- Abatement of lead paint, repaired, stained or repainted east and west entrance doors and trim
- Repaired ‘moat’ retaining wall and drainage below grade on 3 sides of building with associated moat drains, address steps and drainage
- Improvements to stairs and configuration