Design/Build Renovate Mower Building 208
Fort Stewart, GA
Fort Stewart is the largest Army installation east of the Mississippi river. It covers 279,270 acres, which include parts of six counties and supports 27 Major Units. Fort Stewart’s mission as a training base involves training, equipping, deploying and redeploying both early deploying and follow-on active component Army units; and mobilizing, training, equipping, deploying and redeploying Reserve Component Army National Guard and Army Reserve (AR) units and soldiers.
PKS was awarded a contract to provide renovation and construction services to convert the Gymnasium into a Solider Processing Center, including the Addition of a Second Floor and Installation of Modular Furniture. The work included renovations to Mower Gym to convert the existing gym to offices, conversion of bathroom and racquetball court areas to offices, restroom upgrades, new finishes throughout and incidental related work. PKS performed the following work:
- Construction of 2nd floor work included structural steel and new walls and ceilings
- Renovated bathrooms and locker rooms
- Installed new floors
- Demolition of non-load bearing walls
- Upgraded and replaced electrical systems
- Replaced HVAC systems
- Upgraded and replaced plumbing systems
- Upgraded lighting systems
- Installed fire sprinklers and alarm systems
- Installed new doors and hardware and carpeting
- Installed modular furniture
Design changes requested by the client and material price increases resulting from a long delay in project start-up increased the original project cost.